Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Mad Ranting of a Pre-Op Insomniac

Yes my dear and faithful readers, (like the one of you-at least I hope Jeff is still glancing at this drab account of my life. I’m thinking of renaming my blog something like my good friend Kevin Smith’s My Boring Ass Life [I had the pleasure of meeting him at a comic-con and we’ve remained e-mail pals ever since] my insomnia has returned. I suffered insomnia as a child and throughout most of my teenage and young adult life, then a few years ago it went away and the old eyelids began to fall around 10:30pm and usually closed for good sometime between 11:00 and 11:30pm. But, for reasons beyond my ken, I have not been able to go to sleep until three in the morning or after for the past week. At first I thought it might have something to do with some sort of subconscious trepidation I had about switching companies. And since today (Friday) was my first day with this company, I was going to have my new supervisor looking over my shoulder, although, luckily for me personal reasons forced her to leave within the first hour, so I didn’t have that to worry about. But here it is, well past the witching hour, and I’m wide awake with no signs of stopping, so I know now that it had nothing to do with work (although last night was the worst, after sitting through one of the most asinine episodes of Loveline I still couldn’t sleep for and hour or more. Then after finally dosing off, I woke up at five a. m. with one of the worst migraines I’ve ever had, and ended up calling Ralph on the big white telephone.

My first day with Serve Corp. Inc. went quite well, actually. And not a single old woman hit on me, not that I mind affection from the older ladies, it can be quite nice at times, but at the old company I was usually getting hit on by women who looked like they walked off the set of Deliverance. Today I was hit on and actually stooped so low as to flirt with a lovely young woman, with the coolest blonde highlights in her hair. I’m sure it’s all the rage, but she’s the first person I’ve seen with them. She also had a belly ring, which she kept playing with while we talked, which I can’t decide if it was done out of nervousness, or to draw my attention a little lower down.

Kudos to ABC for showing the good the government is doing for those in Louisiana. I’m just getting so tired of the other stations showing all the people who are frustrated, angry, and bashing the people who are risking their lives to save them. ABC is the first station-that I know of anyway-to show that there are still people stuck in or on top of flooded buildings. It just makes me sick when the media does not take an objective standpoint on something so important. And I’m not saying what the people there are going through is frivolous, it’s obviously hellish and I’ve no desire to be in their place, but it’s only one side of the story. The people who are on dry land, although crowded and hungry, are only one small part of the bigger story which most of the news stations seem to be neglecting to tell. I knew there was something I liked about ABC other than Boston Legal and Lost. And I think that calling them refugees is a taking it a bit too far. The key definition of refugee is someone fleeing his or her country. These people still have a country, and somewhat of a city. Survivors, yes; but refugees? Please. The term refugee, to me, seems to have the wrong connotations for this situation anyway.

No comments: