Saturday, September 10, 2005

And my stomach churns

I am getting sick over all the “celebrities” trying to cash in some publicity points by pretending to care about the people suffering in the aftermath of the hurricane. Chief among them being Oprah. I know I have some readers who are Oprah fans, but you’re just going to have to get used to the fact that something about that woman rubs me the wrong way. Don’t expect to see a lot of Oprah bashing on here, but don’t ever expect to see me praise her either. My complaint is, why did she think it was necessary to go to New Orleans? I could see her bringing some of the survivors into her studio to get some sappy interviews, that’s what she does, but does she really think she can get some sort of coverage that the actual news channels will not? And it’s not like she was the first person on the scene, anything she’s going to get has already been covered by the real journalists. And does anyone believe Julia Roberts cares about anyone other than herself? I don’t, not for a second. And what’s up with Chris Rock? It just reeks to me of him wanting to look good to people so his new sitcom will be a hit. That’s not what makes me sick. Everyone seems to be exploiting the survivors. What really makes my guts roil, is that stupid Fashion Rocks concert that was on TV last night. No, I didn’t watch it, but saw some footage on some late night “news” channel like Extra or something. First of all, if it’s a benefit for hurricane survivors, why call it Fashion Rocks? It sounds like it should be more something like money going to models with eating disorders. Plus there was a whole Red Carpet thing, that made it all into fun and games. None of the celebrities interviewed were taking it seriously, except for the lovely Tyra Banks, who took a serious moment to remind everyone why they were there before moving on to more important things like who designed the dress she was wearing. If they people asking for money don’t care about why they are asking in the first place, why should I? And for that matter, what does it say about Americans that we need a bunch of famous people to beg us to give money to facilitate those who are truly in need? Shouldn’t we, as a society, be willing to donate to those people without having to be asked to do so by the rich and famous?

No comments: