Monday, September 19, 2005

I saw two of the coolest movies ever. Okay, so maybe not the coolest movies ever, but they are both surreal. Both also prove that film can be art and not just brainless entertainment for the general movie going lemmings. The first is Heavenly Creatures. It’s difficult to believe that Peter Jackson went from doing Dead Alive, to this movie, and eventually to The Lord of the Rings trilogy. It’s very refreshing to see a director who is so versatile. The three movies mentioned above could not be more different in subject matter and scope-although some scenes in Heavenly Creatures do have a style reminiscent of horror flicks. The other movie was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I wasn’t sure I was going to like this movie. I’d heard good things about it, but the promos I’d seen for it did not seem very enticing. While it’s not the best movie ever made by any means, I found it very interesting. I like the surreal quality to the story and cinematography. The direction wasn’t that great, and none of the actors really seemed that comfortable, except maybe Kate Winslet. What I really liked about the movie though was the non-linear narrative. I’m so sick of screenwriters thinking there has to be a precise “paradigm” just because they’ve read a book by Syd Field, one of the worst script writers to ever try his hand at the craft.

No comments: